Monday, January 7, 2013

Just the Right Spot

One of my fondest memories of my paternal grandmother is her kitchen.  Every time I think about her, about the times together, they usually start in her kitchen.  Believe it or not, not all of those memories have to do with food either.  Yes, I have some very fond memories of her baking, cooking, preparing holiday dinners and more laid back Sunday suppers, but that isn't where I'm going with this.  There are things that were in that kitchen, things that went on in the kitchen that are the first things that come to mind when I remember her.

She had this beautiful buffet cabinet that was painted a tomato red.  That may sound odd, but it was a truly beautiful piece, even to my young eyes.  Within the drawers of that cabinet were the fun little finds that every home needed.  Pens, pencils, drawing paper, playing cards and the dog's leash.  That was the cool part.  With just the flick-jingle of the drawer pull you could send the dog in an excited tizzy and grandma in to a fit because the dog was misbehaving.  Of course, I wasn't the culprit. It was the dog.  He he.

Then there was the cuckoo clock.  I was enthralled with the clock.  I watched with amazement as she would pull the chains to wind it.  I didn't understand how that made the clock keep going, but I know it did.  Because she said so.  I anticipated the call of the cuckoo and the peek-a-boo visit of the tiny bird that dwell within.  I adored that clock so much. It was the thing I missed most when she passed.  Knowing I wouldn't get to hear it call out to her home "welcome" and "be loved here" it really made me miss her more.

Also in the kitchen could be found her spiritual "stack".  This was her Bible and Bible Study workbooks and notebook, always kept in a neat little stack on the table.  Grandma belonged to the Worldwide Church of God, whatever that was.  As a small child I wasn't raised going to church every Sunday.  In fact, the only time I went to any church or heard about God was when I went with Grandma, or eavesdropped on her prayers.  It wasn't until I was older I started to attend church with my parents and begin my christian education.  But I digress.  However, Grandma was very devoted to her studies and I loved to peek at her Bible with the handwritten notes in the margins and spaces of the text.  Underlines of things she felt were important, and further explanation of verses that needed more understanding.  I found it all very fascinating because it was obviously so important to her, but yet a mystery to me.

The other important piece of the kitchen (and my memories) was Grandma's fruit.  They were always so proudly displayed and I can't remember any time I was in the kitchen that I didn't take the time to admire them and enjoy them smiling back at me. Smiling fruit, you say?  Yes.  I do.  The fruit I speak of are a set of ceramic pieces that my grandmother's sister made for her, and apparently a set for herself as well, though I don't remember those as clearly.

Like her clock and Bible, Grandma's fruit was one of those things that really struck me as being "lost" when she passed away.  They were so dear to my memories, and my childhood.  It was really one of those things that I couldn't "get over".  They were always on my mind and heavy in my heart any time thoughts of her came to mind.  I missed my grandma's fruit!

Imaging my absolute shock when I discovered my dearest and closest cousin had been the lucky one to not only save the tomato red buffet, but the whole set of 8 fruits!!  I would also later discover that her parents had saved Grandma's clock, and would gift it to me, but that's another story...

Upon preparing to leave from another visit to my cousin and dreading leaving "home" to return to where I live 600 miles north, she ever so casually says that I can choose my favorite 4 fruits.  We are splitting the set and sharing what was a dear memory for us both in order to keep it alive in our own homes.  I was stunned, and thrilled!  I struggled with which ones to choose, but finally decided on my set.  Now we each share a part of the grandmother we cherished so much as children, and keep her spirit present in our own homes.  Of course, I have them in my kitchen where they belong.  Where else could they go?

Oh, and as for the Bible.... my dad shocked me by blessing me with it a few years ago.  I pull it out every so often an look at her notes and lessons in her own handwriting, and it fills me with more blessings than I could have ever imagined.  All that was, still IS.  And all is good!

\

No comments:

Post a Comment