Thursday, January 10, 2013

Habits, Loves and Memories

After suffering a few days of setbacks, I had to do a little game of catch-up today for my photo challenge.  I had to find A Bad Habit, Someone I Love, and Childhood Memories.

Bad habbit... not so tough.  I tend to watch too much TV.  I love movies and my DVR is always full of things I need to catch up on.  I can admit it.  TV.  Bad Habbit.


Someone I love.  Easy too.  My kids.  My family.  I have a shelf in my living room packed a little too tight with photos of ones I love.  The latest of my kids, my cousin Lorraine who is more like a sister than a cousin,  her kids and Robert, her husband.  Another easy check on the list.


Childhood memories.  That one can be a bit tougher.  I just did a big post that talked quite a bit about my childhood memories of my grandmother's house and her fruits (which was the photo theme for the day) and I cant really use that again!  So what other memories do  I have that can be photographed... today... before  I have to leave for work? What is readily available?

Books.  My bookshelf is full, and that is only a small sampling of the books I own.  Barely a dent in my stash.  The books in my photograph, and subsequently those on my shelf are not the memories I have, per se, but the memory of shelves and shelves and more shelves filled with books is the memory I captured.  My parents are huge book nuts.  They are always reading, sometimes more than one book at a time.  They read to me as a child.  Books beyond my "level" even.  It was a passion we shared together.  Trips to the library resulted in the exodus of a large stack of books between us. So many, in fact, that my parents created their own system at home to keep track of who checked out what and when it was due so there were no lost or forgotten ones.  We even frequented several libraries to gain more variety.  It seems a little crazy, but it was something that we shared a passion for and it made us happy.  I also think they liked it because it was free.  Not many things a family can do together for fun that is free!

I still have a heart for books and my parents still make it their personal mission to keep the local library circulation high.  I even got a Kindle for Christmas.  I love it and am piling books on it regularly.  Somehow I believe that I will always still keep some of the "real deal" around though.  There is really nothing better than curling up on the couch, hot tea on hand, a blanket on your lap and a good book in your hands.  The smell of the paper and in, the turning of real pages, the story making a movie in your mind.... nothing beats it.  Memories from childhood, and new ones in the making.  Get busy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment